Monday, December 10, 2012

Photosynthesis Light Independent Reactions


We started with the following daily questions that summarized yesterday's activity.
Friday December 7th
During the first steps of photosynthesis what main product did we create? Oxgyen 
What molecule was split to create this? Water
Where did the energy come from to fuel this first step? The Sun
Two other energy molecules were created ATP and NADPH.
What will these molecules be used for? To fuel the next set of reactions that will make organic compounds.
We then moved into notes/activities and interactives on the light INdependent reactions (the Calvin Cycle) (Please check Edline for the notes)

The Calvin cycle can be VERY complex but I let you guys know the "take home" points that I really want you to know about it.  Ultimately what I want you to know is that the Carbon that makes up glucose molecules originates from organic molecules found in 
As much as I want to challenge you this year, I will NOT be making
you memorize each of these steps!!!!

This image gives you a little simpler view of the two processes.  I have
highlighted the Calvin Cycle to show you in general what is happening.

















All those links would be good go to's for a little review of what
occurred during photosynthesis.  I encourage you to check them out!!









No comments:

Post a Comment