Thursday, August 22, 2013

Welcome Back!!!

We made it through our first two days!!!  Wednesday was mostly a getting to know you session and I had you watch the welcome back video.



This explains most of my expectations of you but also outlines what you can expect of ME!!!  This is going to be a tough year full of MANY challenges, but you WILL be successful if you give me all you've got!!!

I also referred to last years highlight film that I showed you all the last day of school in May. If you follow this link you can watch it again.

Hopefully we will be able to do ALL of this and MORE!!!  This summer I had the opportunity to do research at Carnegie Mellon University and develop ways to incorporate that research into the classroom.  Here are some of the things I hope to do with you guys in the second semester.

Today we had our first set of daily questions and started into our first set of notes.

Daily Questions (DQ’s)
Thursday August 22nd
How many times can you use a hall pass in a nine-week period and WHEN during class can you use them?
3 times, First or Last 5 minutes of class.  It is IMPERATIVE that you are in class.  We have a lot to get through and missing ANY part of it will hinder your success.  I promised to do everything in my power to help you succeed..... this is one of them!!!!

Biology is the study of what?
 Life:  the term "bio" means "life" the term "ology" means the study of.  
Tell me one characteristic that you think defines “life” (What does it mean to be alive????)
At this point I had you  brainstorm things that you think are characteristic of ALL living things.  I showed you the following slide to guide your thoughts.


Some of the answers I got from you were SPOT ON, others, we will see, are EXAMPLES of a characteristic but not necessarily a characteristic of ALL living things!!

We will answer this question throughout the next couple days with some notes and labs!  This is what we got through today.








At this point I had you guys look at a sheep brain to show you how we can "SEE" an organism (I can see you, you can see me) and we can "See" an organ (we were looking at a brain in fact)


To understand how small cells actually are we went to the following website.  This is a  great animation to put cell size into perspective.  Check it out!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment